One Billion

More than one billion people use LPG

+300 million tonnes

Global LPG consumption exceeds 300 million tonnes

Six continents

LPG is used on all six continents, from Asian mega cities to remote bases on Antarctica

LPG is a portable, clean and efficient energy source which is readily available to consumers around the world. LPG is primarily obtained from natural gas and oil production but is also produced increasingly from renewable sources. Its unique properties make it a versatile energy source which can be used in more than 1,000 different applications.

In its liquid form, LPG looks like water. Yet, because of its unique properties, one litre of liquid LPG, expands to 270 litres of gaseous energy allowing a lot of energy to be transported in a compact container.

Documentary

The Story of LPG

Propane or Butane?

LPG stands for “Liquefied Petroleum Gas” and the term is used to describe two Natural Gas Liquids: propane and butane, or a mix of the two. Propane and butane are chemically quite similar but the small differences in their properties mean that they are particularly suited to specific uses. Often, propane and butane will be mixed to get the best energy yields and properties.

Propane

Propane’s lower boiling point is perfect for outdoor storage and it is primarily used for central heating, commercial applications, cooking and transport.

Butane

Butane is mainly shipped in cylinders for portable applications such as mobile heaters or for leisure activities such as boats, caravans and barbecues. Butane can also be used as a propellant, refrigerant or to fuel welding torches.

What’s in a Name LPG?

The term is widely used to describe two prominent members of a family of light hydrocarbons called “Natural Gas Liquids” (NGLs): propane (C3H8) and butane (C4H10).

The term “liquefied gas” may seem a contradiction in terms since all things in nature are either a liquid or a solid or a gas. Yet, liquidity is the unique character of LPG that makes it such a popular and widely used fuel. At normal temperature and pressure, LPG is gaseous. It changes to a liquid when subjected to modest pressure or cooling. In liquid form, the tank pressure is about twice the pressure in a normal truck tyre, which means it is very safe when properly handled.

Where does LPG come from? Find out more LPG has two origins: approximately 60% is recovered during the extraction of natural gas and oil from the earth, and the remaining 40% is produced during the refining of crude oil. Where does LPG come from? Find out more LPG has two origins: approximately 60% is recovered during the extraction of natural gas and oil from the earth, and the remaining 40% is produced during the refining of crude oil. arrow_upward Scroll Up / Down arrow_downward

Where is LPG used?

Hundreds of millions of people currently use LPG and depend on it for thousands of applications, in commercial business, industry, transportation, farming, power generation, cooking, heating and for recreational purposes.

Why use LPG? Find out more LPG is an efficient, portable, clean, versatile and accessible energy source. Why use LPG? Find out more LPG is an efficient, portable, clean, versatile and accessible energy source. arrow_upward Scroll Up / Down arrow_downward

LPG &
Society

With an immediate and global availability, environmental benefits, its natural co-product origin, transportation flexibility and diverse application, LPG plays a pivotal role in the transition towards a more secure, sustainable and competitive energy model.